Sunday, February 3, 2008

Thing Discovery #2-Web 2.0

The speaker in the video must have a lot of time to be on the net. I live in the country and have dial up. I think techies forget about half of the people in Norhtern Minnesota who don't have access to DSL. We can't even watch a video unless we go to town to a public access computer to see it. I go to the public library. A lot of people in my area need public access computers just to access the net for basic priority internet time, like a job application, tax info, email corespondance by a college or employer, etc. Many people on the Indian reservsation don't even have a phone let alone a computer with internet access. Will the seperation between the haves and the have nots get bigger with web 2.0? Is it humanly possible and a government priority and concern to have internet for all its citizens? Some of this discussion sounds like science fiction. As for myself. I am in the middle. I am excited about the advances of techmology and I like change BUT I still like the old way with a book in my hand. I have worked in the public library and the older staff absolutely do not want change. As for the reference librarian--her job description has changed--have they told her yet? At our library the reference librarian should be a computer technician and teacher so that he can teach the general public how to use the internet, email, word, excell, spell check, etc. We have a long way to go to get all of the citizens computer competent. And more and more "stff" needs to be donw on a computer.

No comments: